Porridge cups

March 02, 2016

There are some mornings where I just don't want to get out of bed. The sky is still dim outside, the bed is warm and cosy which makes the idea of getting ready to leave the most unpleasant thing I ever had the displeasure of thinking. So naturally, I stay in bed.
But sadly time still moves on and gets closer and closer to the time I must depart if I still want to get to Uni in time for at least 90% of my class.
And so I'm caught in this horrible rush out the door but make sure that I'm actually wearing clothes (not my comfy jammies) and more often than not breakfast gets forgotten.

I'm a strong believer that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I can occasionally skip a lunch or a dinner but forget breakfast and I am a mess for the whole day. Any hope of productivity stays at home with my poor forgotten breakfast.

I don't know how some of my friends go without breakfast. Without it your body has no energy for the morning. I personally am completely foggy and have zero concentration and am even more likely to fall asleep in lectures (which has happened). By 11 I have hunger pains and all thoughts have turned away from whatever I was doing to the thought of food.

I have tried many 'on-the-go' commercial breakfast but none of them taste as good as having a homemade breakfast. Until I found the recipe for these. With a little bit of tweaking this recipe they are perfect!

Whether you need a quick grab and go breakfast (me) or you're looking for something new in the mornings (also me). These little muffin like, oaty, porridge cups are definitely worth a try!

To make, you will need;

3 large apples -they don't need to be cooking apples, nor do they need to be in the prime of their life. We're going to make them into a fresh homemade puree. You'll need to peel them and roughly chop them too.
5 cups oats
1 tsp salt
5 tbl honey
2/3 cup chocolate chopped into small chunks, you could also use choc chips and avoid having to cut chocolate but I like the texture of chunks rather than smooth chips. Anyhoo!
1/2 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped.
1/2 cup raisins
2 1/3 cups water
1/4 oil
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon
and some raw sugar for sprinkling on top.

To begin, preheat oven to 190˚C and line 2, 12 hole muffin tins with paper cases. This recipe makes almost a month’s supply (if you don't share and eat on every day, which would be excessive in my books, but up to you!) of muffins which was roughly 20 overfilled muffin cases or 24 neatly filled to the 3/4 line (like you're supposed to when making cupcakes and not being piggy).

In a medium saucepan place apples and a splash of water. Put on medium heat and cook, with lid on being sure not to let them burn to the bottom. Once very soft puree with a stick mixer, or using a masher and some oomph.

In a large bowl place dry ingredients; oats, salt, chocolate, apricots, raisin and cinnamon and mix together well. Once all evenly combined add wet ingredients to the mix; the pureed apples we made before, honey, water, oil and vanilla and mix again until thoroughly combined.

Spoon into paper cases, because they don't rise I fill them to the tippy top but that's not actually required.

Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool slightly in the tray (or eat warm) for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Yum,

Because some mornings you just don't want to get up...

Happy baking and more relaxing, restful mornings!

xx

Caitlin

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe