Easter Bake - Creme Egg Brownie

March 23, 2016

*drools*
I’m not always the biggest sweet tooth. I mean sometimes I will be just as happy with a bowl of pasta as I would with a lovely piece of cake. (Actually often I think I would be happier with the pasta, why can’t coffee and pasta be a thing?) But there is one recipe that I often can’t resist. Leave some of this naughty treat lying around and I can promise you it will be gone!

So what is it you ask?
Double chocolate brownie. My kryptonite. A flaky top and gooey bottom with extra chocolate throughout for a little crunch is the best both warm with ice-cream and cold (as you sneak it from the container and run).
In case you're wondering, the edges are often the best bits!
I decided to do a little Easter variation to my favourite brownie recipe by adding my favourite Easter eggs. It would have worked had I thought about it first and not overcooked the eggs but it still tastes awesome and I have adjusted the recipe so that your brownie will be even better than mine!!! (How caring am I!)

To make, you’ll need;
115g butter
115g cooking chocolate. I tend to mix mine 2/3 milk and 1/3 dark so that you get a richer flavour or often mostly dark. The higher cocoa content doesn’t affect the taste as it’s melted in the mixture.
300g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
Tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
140g plain flour
2 tbl cocoa powder
100g crème eggs (my favourite Easter egg). This the part where you can get creative. I cut the crème eggs open with a hot knife and pushed them on top of mixture once in the pan. You could use other filled eggs in the same way. Otherwise after Easter you could crush 100g of eggs and mix trough before pouring into the pan. I’ll put both instruction in.

Start by lining a square 20x20 tin with baking paper and preheat oven to 180˚C.
In a medium heat proof bowl, place cooking chocolate in chunks and butter. Melt over a pan of bowling water until completely melted.

Remove from heat and leave to cool slightly.

To the melted mixture add sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Mixing until all combined.

Beat in eggs, one at a time.

Add flour and cocoa powder together into the bowl and mix well.

Now, here is where the variation comes in.

Basically you have created a brownie batter. To this you can add your crushed Easter eggs (in any chocolate type, milk, dark, white) or chocolate chips, mix and then pour into prepared tin.
Then cook for 35 minutes or until the top is evenly cooked.

Alternatively you can pour your mixture into the tin and cook for 25-30 minutes removing to quickly place the cut open filled eggs (so caramello eggs or crème eggs) and then place back in the oven for another 5 minutes to let it finish cooking.
Do not put the eggs in for the full time (because that's what I did). It overcooks the chocolate so that instead of being smooth and maybe slightly melty it is quite dry (but still tasty!)
Once cooked (it’s often a little gooey at the very bottom when you test with a skewer) remove and let to cool slightly in the tray before cutting into cubes and serving slightly warm and gooey with some ice-cream or just gobbling up!
A great Easter treat to complement the chocolate of the season!

Happy Baking!

xx



Caitlin

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe