Berry and Oat Muffins and real style baking

November 28, 2015


I'm going to be honest with you (not that I'm not usually). I'm not really one of those bakers who measures out everything first in pretty bowls and cups so that everything can be added nicely. Heck, I don't even sift the flour first when it's required for most cakes (unless I'm entering a competition, which I haven't done since I was eight.) I also always melt my butter for any recipe because then it hand creams better than at room temperature.

That being said, if you enjoy setting up everything first and following instructions flawlessly, I envy you! I feel baking should be something that makes you happy so you do you and have fun baking!


I though that I'd give the 'Baking with Caitlin!' some screen time. This is the make-believe show that I imagined up when I began cooking by myself when I was little. This is the way I really like to bake so why not share it properly.
Someday it will be a real thing!

So today I made Berry and Oat muffins. These muffins are rustic and homely, not to mention yummy! This is another recipe that would work great for a breakfast on the run.

This recipe is an adaptation from Alice Arndell's 'Alice in Bakingland'

To make these muffins you're going to need;

2 cups wholemeal plain flour. Feel free to use normal plain flour if you don't have wholemeal, it won't affect the recipe but the cooking time might be slightly faster. That being said the wholemeal flour made the muffins denser and moist and provided extra texture to what would have been most likely, a light mixture
1 cup rolled oats
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
170g butter melted
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups frozen berries. I used a mixture of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.
Raw sugar for topping. The brown sugar gives the muffins an extra crispy, sweet to and is seriously recommended but is optional.

Preheat oven to 180°C. This recipe made about 16 muffins so line a 12-hole muffin tin with cases (again I used my funky silicon single muffin cases for those few extra stragglers).

In a large bowl add melted butter. Can I just say PLEASE melt your butter! For the first time in forever I did not melt my butter and I could not get it to blend! In the end I had to melt it over a pan of hot water because I had stupidly added other ingredients thinking that it would fix itself.
Rant over...
To the melted butter add brown sugar, eggs and vanilla and whisk together.


To the wet mixture add flour, oats, baking powder and salt and fold in until just combined. Once almost combined add berries making sure to gentle crush and whole frozen berries (raspberries especially) before adding to batter as a whole raspberry will collapse the muffin.
You are going to look like you committed a small murder but squashing the raspberries is worth it!

Spoon mixture into prepared cases and sprinkle with raw sugar.

Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. (I personally kept an eye on them after 20 minutes but they needed more cooking.)
Once out of oven allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.

Ta Da!

As always let me know if you bake them. I do love feedback (I also like reading new blogs so feel free to leave your links).
And any issues or questions, let me know and I'll get back to you promptly.

Happy Baking!

xxx

Caitlin


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe