What I've been reading

December 08, 2015

I am a library lover. I take great pleasure in knowing that if I completely hate a book that I don't even need to finish it I can just return it and hopefully never see it again. I also love that I can browse for anything and easily change my mind once I get home. If I get the feeling for action but get home and decide that honestly now is not the time that's fine (I just end up doing heaps of trips to the library).
There are times that I find an absolute beauty and then I go and buy the whole series and follow the author and every book they publish after. But I also like libraries for the ability to sample things that I haven't tried before.


Every so often (at the moment it is roughly once every second month) I head down/up to one of my local libraries and collect a stack of books. Sometimes it will just be a few if I'm reading a series and other times when I'm in-between big book series it will be quite a large stack as I'm searching for my next read.
I thought that this time I'd share my stack of books with you.


I'm going to write about these in the order I read them. I have to say they were definitely all interesting reads.

The first I read was The Worst Girlfriend in the World by Sarra Manning

Synopsis;

Franny barker's best friend, Alice, is the worst girlfriend in the world according to the many boys of Merrycliffe-on-Sea. She toys with them, then dumps them. but she'll never dump fashion-obsessed Franny. Nothing and no one can come between them.

Not even tousle-haired rock god, Louis Allen, who Franny's been crushing on hard. Until Alice, bored with immature boys and jealous of Franny's new college friends, sets her sights on Louis. Suddenly, best friends are bitter rivals.
Is winning Louis's heart worth more than their friendship? There's only one way for Franny to find out.

I am in love with this book! I'm a little bit of a vintage fashion nut and finding that the main character also has a passion with 60's fashion was beautiful. The author has either a great knowledge of 60's fashion or seriously enjoyed research. I enjoyed learning about little bits of fashion history and picturing all the well described outfits of the protagonist.
At the time that I read this I had just finished a selection of young adult romance novels and so this fit in perfectly with its subtle and not so subtle love stories.

Famous by Todd Strasser
 
Synopsis;

Suppose I told you that I was once famous. People on the street recognized me.  They asked for my autograph, and to pose for photos with them...

Can you imagine?

Only whatever you imagine, is so not the way it really is.

All Jamie Gordon ever wanted was to take pictures of celebrities... and maybe be famous herself. At sixteen, she is well on her way to achieve her goals as the youngest working paparazzo in New York City. One of her shots landed on the cover of People magazine when she was fifteen. And now she's being given the biggest opportunity of all: an invitation to spend a week hanging out with teen mega superstar Willow Twine, photographing her and documenting her life.

Jamie is sure that this is her ticket to the big time. But then Jamie discovers pictures on her camera that she didn't take. Photos that could make her career--and destroy Willow's

With the biggest decision of her career--and her life--on the line, Jamie has to decide what price she's willing to pay to get everything she's ever wanted.

This book was a little different. It took a while to get used to the jumpy way it was written. It changes point of view and time with each chapter which can get a little confusing. It made me concentrate a lot more on the book. Strasser does draw attention to the lure of fame these days and shows a darker side to fame. It was a pleasant read but quite sad.

Pretty Girl by J. C. Burke
I spoke about Pretty Girl when I did the 'what's in my bag post' (here) but let's visit it again because it was kinda cool...

Synopsis;

Paige, Sarah, Jess and Tallulah were best friends at school.

Now they've begun university and are living together at college, but it's not turning out like it's meant to.

Tallulah's partying too hard, Jess is being secretive, Paige is embarrassing herself with an unrequited crush, and Sarah's struggling to keep up with her wealthier friends.


One night, Sarah saves Paige from drowning in the university swimming pool. Paige can't remember why she was there, and Sarah's too afraid to day what she saw.

Then Jess's body is found outside the college laundry.

It's not until Sarah meets the gorgeous and charming Jonny that she can tell someone her suspicions. But what really did happen that night at the pool? Does anything connect Paige's accident with Jess's death? As Paige starts to piece together her memories, the most terrifying question becomes clear: could it happen again?

Compelling isn't it?
I pick this book up because of the title and the cover. They didn't go exactly hand in hand and that appealed greatly to me. Then I read the synopsis on the back of the book... and I was sold!
Written from the perspective of two of the four girls, Sarah and Paige this book was a great read. I love a good mystery where you can come up with theories. A proper whodunit. 
The more I reflect on this book the more I feel that I enjoyed it. It was eerily beautiful to read.

Pretty Deadly by Joe Schreiber

When Gobi lands in Perry's life. she rips it apart like a bombshell. One minutes she's a frumpy, awkward exchange student...and the next, she's the ultimate femme fatale.

Gobi is a trained assassin, out for revenge; she must hit five targets by daybreak. But what Perry really wants to know is this: is Gobi going to kill him...or kiss him?

I didn't know what to expect when I pick up this book. I only briefly read the synopsis and wasn't sure about genders or where the book was actually heading. And can I say I was surprised! That being said it was a really good read. One of those books that you read in one or two sittings. I loved that each chapter was titled with college application essay topic which kept me wondering if the 'story' had been sent to each college. Death, guns and explosions with a touch of love to keep it sweet.

All I Know Now by Carrie Hope Fletcher
I wish that I had had this book by my side when I was growing up. I feel that it would have been my greatest companion through some of my tougher times. I don't think I'm really the key audience anymore but it was still an interesting and insightful read.
While covering some of growing ups bigger issue this book is written is such a way that the contents is kept light. Little reflections and funny asides keep the book light and engaging, perfect for her audience. I

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

A cold February morning...

A snowy road...

And suddenly all of Mia's choices are gone.

Except one.

As alone as she'll ever be, Mia must make the most difficult choice of all.

I cried, a lot reading this book. At first I found the book a bit full on there was quite a bit of nitty gritty which was necessary but made me feel a little ill. But the more I read the more I grew to love this. It's not normally something I would pick up but I had seen a trailer for the movie, you know how it is...
It probably wasn't the best choice to tuck in my bag to read on the train because of how teary it made me.
This turned out to be a big read not in length as the books isn't particularly dense but it was one of those books that I just kept picking up and putting down. I lost my bookmark (which was a safety pin -typical Caitlin!) and with that almost my last will to finish this book. I think mostly this was because I didn't want to know how it ended. I was happy just to live in ignorant bliss.
But I have to say, I'm glad I did, and you will too!

Lastly, there was meant to be 'After' by Morris Gleitzman which I picked up because it looked to be an interesting read. It was sent around the Second World War and would most definitely have been a good reads because Gleitzman is known for good reads.
Sadly however not only was it long overdue (and renewed to its fullest) but by the time I got to it I was too busy to make myself interested again...
If anyone has read it please do let me know what you thought about it. Mostly likely I will pick it up again some other time.

Well that's it! I'm off to the library to get me some new books!
Any suggestions?
xx

Caitlin

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe