Successful stiff peaks

February 17, 2017


I am a serial collector of those little recipe cards. The ones that you see in the supermarket, promoting a particular combination of products. The ones that are supposed to inspire you to buy all the products and create something tasty and artistic like the little picture, but really just sit on the bench for weeks and weeks to then just get added to the growing collection.

I think I may have followed one of those cards just once. It was a really tasty chicken macaroni thing which I really would have made again, except that I lost the card!

I decided today that I'd work my way through these cards share them with you and give them a little review as to whether I'd make them again. Then, if I lose a good one, I'll always have a place to come back to and find it.

Today I made a vanilla magic custard cake (a recipe card from Queen) and beat egg whites into successful peaks for the first time ever!!

What you'll need:
4 eggs separated into whites and yolks
3/4 cup caster sugar
3 tsp vanilla
125g melted butter that has cooled slightly. (Is this important? I have no idea...)
3/4 cup plain flour
2 cups milk microwaved to be lukewarm

To make, begin by combining egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and beat until lighter and creamy.
Add vanilla and butter and mix again until combined.
Add flour to the mixture and you guessed it, mix! But only until just combined.
Then, slowly add the lukewarm milk in a steady stream as you continue mixing.
The mixture might look like a split disaster but keep persevering.

In a separate bowl beat your egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
This is something that always worries me but turn out it was all just hype. Make sure to just get egg whites in your bowl and then just beat, beat, beat. Peaks should be not only stiff but able to hold its shape when beater is removed.
Then gently fold a third into the milk mixture with a spatula. When combined add the rest of the egg whites and gently fold until there are no massive clumps.
Pour the mixture into a 20 x 20 tin lined with baking paper, smoothing the surface and bake for 45 minutes at 160°C. Allow to cool completely in the tin. Once cooled transfer to the fridge until ready to serve. To serve cut into cubes and sprinkle with icing sugar.

Sadly it's doesn't keep fantastically as it form a skin like texture on the base of the custard slice. Making it one of those eat immediately recipes.
So would I make it again?

Honestly, for everyday and lunch time treats probably not. Unless I was ready to eat the whole lot at once. Which actually probably wouldn't be that hard. It so tasty!!
If I ever was baking for a high tea or something similar I would most definitely try this one again, it's light, sweet and stands apart from many typical slices.
But it was fun and definitely worth the time. So this is one recipe card from the stack of many that I can file away correctly in the 'high tea' folder.

Give it a try!

Happy Baking

xx

Caitlin

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe