What to do with all the cake!?!

August 23, 2016

I have a little confession. This post has been 90% ready for some time, unfortunately I lost the second recipe and spent ages trying to find it. Trust me to lose the one piece of paper I actually needed.
Anyhoo, Back to the post...

It's not very often that you end up with a truckload of cake crumbs and cake chunks and no actual cake. But I did - because THIS extravagant cake idea 'hit the rocks' literally. Haven't seen? Check this out.
It turns out there aren't a lot of recipes and ideas out there. So I've collated two ideas that I used to get rid of the extreme amount of cake I had, and they taste pretty darn good!

Trifle

Trifle is almost a staple when it comes to gatherings with my family. Usually layers of snail cake (Swiss roll) soaked in sherry and covered in canned peaches and custard which I leave to soak together and then finally top with jelly. Wow, writing that out not only made me want trifle again, but has just drawn my attention to how extremely extravagant this dessert is!
My adaptation of our usual recipe is non-alcoholic, obviously uses the left-over chunks and off-cuts of cake, and apricots, instead of the peaches (but you can use peaches, the pantry was out).

Ingredients:
Reasonably large chunks of cake off cuts and failed cake dreams. If you'd like to spread some with jam that's even better! Alternatively if you don't have any failed cake or left over cake you can use (as I mentioned before) Swiss roll.
Loads of Custard. I initially made my own but we later decided it was better for everyone if we stuck to using custard powder or bottled custard.
1 large can of apricots in syrup or peaches (which are my personal favourite)
1 packet of jelly (any flavour)

To begin;
Make up the jelly as per instructions and set aside to set. You won't need this until you're ready to serve.
In a large serving bowl place a layer of cake along the base. Drizzle with the juice from the canned fruit and cover with a layer of fruit.
Coat this with a hearty amount of custard. Repeat this process until the bowl is full.
Place in fridge until serving time.
When ready to serve cube jelly and place on top of the trifle.
Serve using a humongous spoon and a big bowl.

Cake crumb cookies
These simple little cookies are probably the cleverest thing that I have found that deals with the little crumbs. They are spongey and light and extremely easy to make.

You'll need;

1 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3-4 cups of cake crumbs. It will depend on the thickness of the batter. The more cake crumbs the more the cookies will hold into ball shape rather than spreading as far along the tray.
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
2 cups oats
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together all ingredients in large bowl.
Drop teaspoonfuls of batter onto a tray and bake in to 180°C oven for 10 minutes.
That easy!

And there you have it!
Two reasonably easy ideas to deal with the left over cake.

xx

Caitlin

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe